HOW DOES THE NOMINATION, APPLICATION AND EVALUATION PROCESS WORK?
1. NOMINATIONS. For Nominating Institutions: Nominate the selected start-up as the Science Start-up Breakthrough of the Year 2022 (Category 9: ‘Science Start-Ups’). You will only have to provide basic information; the nominated start-up will send in detailed application material in a second step.
For Start-ups: Ask your university or research institution (i.e. VP Innovation, Director Technology Transfer, Head of university accelerator or a professor) to nominate your start-up as the Science Start-up Breakthrough of the Year 2021 (Category 9: ‘Science Start-Ups’).
Nominations must be submitted by 31 May 2022 (extended deadline) through our online form.
2. APPLICATIONS. (For start-ups only:) After you have been nominated, you will receive further details on the necessary application materials. You will have two weeks to submit your application.
The application will consist of:
· an application form you need to fill in (you can see a preview here)
· your pitch deck (PDF)
· your pitch video (check the requirements and recommendations here)
3. FINALISTS. The applications are reviewed and evaluated. Should you make it to the next round, you will be able to call yourself a Falling Walls Finalist and you will be announced as such on our website.
4. WINNERS. Our advisory board will screen the applications of all Finalists. The 25 most promising start-ups will be invited as Winners to Berlin to pitch their work to a distinguished jury and selected audience on 7 November.
5. SCIENCE START-UP BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR 2022. The jury will select the Science Start-Up Breakthrough of the Year from all Winners. They will present their start-up live on stage at the Falling Walls Breakthrough Day in front of global leaders on 9 November.