Who are we looking for?
- Entrepreneurs and scientists from all disciplines whose start-ups are driven by scientific research
- Start-ups that have at least a prototype or proof of concept and already have received some funding
- Young science-driven ventures that are not older than 5 years, and have not yet participated in Falling Walls Venture as a presenter on stage
- Start-ups must be endorsed by a nominating institution. This can be a university or a research institution.
WHAT CAN START-UPS WIN?
- Networking opportunities with investors, VCs and business partners
- Extended global reach and exposure across our online platforms
- Coaching on digital pitching
- Opportunity to pitch before an online audience during the winner’s session on 6 November
- Tailored advice from a distinguished jury
- Chance to win the Falling Walls Science Start-Up Breakthrough of the Year 2020 award and be featured in a virtual award ceremony on 9 November
How does the NOMINATION AND APPLICATION process work IN 2020?
1. NOMINATIONS. Ask your university or research institution (i.e. VP Innovation, Director Technology Transfer, Head of university accelerator or a professor) to nominate your start-up as the Science Start-up Breakthrough of the Year 2020 here online by 1 September 2020 at the very latest. Please note that you will have fewer time to submit your application materials the later your nomination is submitted. Nominations before 1 August 2020 are higly encouraged.
2. APPLICATIONS. Nominations are immediately reviewed by us continuously. If your start-up meets the eligibility criteria, we will ask you to:
- fill in the application questionnaire (preview here),
- send us your pitch deck (PDF) and
- a pitch video to complete your application (video requirements and recommendations here).
You will receive further details on the necessary application materials shortly after your nomination was submitted. Then, you do have about two weeks to submit your application.
3. GLOBAL PERCEPTION. Our selection committee will screen your application. If selected, Falling Walls will announce your start-up as a finalist, share your video and make your outstanding work recognised – via social media, newsletters and on our growing library at falling-walls.com, as well as on the platforms of our partners.
4. WINNERS SESSION. A high-ranking jury will select the ten most promising start-ups, who will present to a global audience. The winners session “Science Start-Ups” with all ten selected ventures will take place on 6 November.
5. FALLING WALLS DAY 9 NOVEMBER 2020. On 9 November 2020, the anniversary of the historic fall of the Berlin Wall, the Science Start-up Breakthrough of the Year 2020 will be announced, and the people and institutions who made them possible will be honoured in a live digital session with distinguished world leaders and high-ranking industry representatives.
Check the FAQ and feel free to get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org for any further questions.