FALLING WALLS REMOTE 2020: A VIRTUAL PLATFORM FOR THE BEST SCIENCE ENGAGEMENT PROJECTS
Falling Walls Engage 2020 will be hosted as a digital event by the Falling Walls Foundation in cooperation with the Robert Bosch Stiftung. It forms part of Falling Walls Remote 2020: a digital format that replaces our physical event in Berlin this year due to Covid-19 restrictions.
As much as the Covid-19 crisis restricts personal gatherings in 2020, it opens up new opportunities for Falling Walls to overcome the limitations of a traditional conference through innovative, open and engaging digital formats. In 2020 we want to showcase, discuss, value and celebrate a wide variety of breakthroughs involving a wider audience during a longer period of time. All strands will converge on 9 November in a top-class award ceremony and expert panel discussions.
GLOBAL CONCEPT – STEP BY STEP
1. Wide digital recognition for all finalists
Falling Walls will continuously announce the finalists, display their videos, and make their outstanding work recognised to foster a scholarly and public debate about the contribution of science to society – via social media, newsletters and on our growing library at falling-walls.com, as well as on the platforms of our partners. All finalists will also be invited to participate in various community activities, such as digital co-learning workshops, informal get-togethers with other science engagers and much more.
2. Top 10 winners
A distinguished jury will identify the 10 best submissions from the finalists. The top 10 science engagement projects will be presented at the Winners Session on 8 November. The Science Engagement Breakthrough of the Year 2020 will then be selected by the jury and will be announced on 9 November at the Falling Walls Day.
3. Announcement of the Science Engagement Breakthrough of the Year 2020
All this will converge in a top-class award ceremony and expert panel discussions in front of an audience of global leaders on 9 November, the Falling Walls Day. The Science Engagement Breakthrough of the Year 2020 will be announced and celebrated amongst the breakthroughs of the other categories.
4. Global access to all initiatives
All material will be made available permanently and for free in our falling-walls.com media centre to allow global access and inspiration.
HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE?
The application deadline has expired 30 June 2020. The call for applications is closed.
However, we call for your nominations for the most recent breakthroughs in Science Engagement. Please find out more about our nomination process here.
What are the benefits of becoming a Falling Walls Engage finalist?
Benefits for all finalists
- Networking opportunities
- Possibility to increase the reach and visibility of the project
- Chance to connect with other science engagers around the world
- Co-learning workshops with other science engagers from all over the world
- Opportunity to apply for future Falling Walls Engage events, such as the Falling Walls Engage Hubs
- Access to the digital and global community platform Falling Walls Connect
Extra benefits for the Top 10 winners
- Promotion to a distinguished online audience and jury at the Winners Session on 8 November
- Chance to become the Science Engagement Breakthrough of the Year 2020 (the winner will be featured in a virtual top-class award ceremony in front of an audience of global leaders on 9 November)
- Become the Falling Walls Engage Science Engagement Ambassador for your country
- Take part in the Falling Walls Engage Community Meeting
- Become part of the Falling Walls Engage Community