Below you’ll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about applying to or participating in Falling Walls Engage Pitches.
When and where does Falling Walls Engage Pitches take place?
Falling Walls Engage Pitches will take place as a physical event on 7 November 2022 in Berlin* as part of the Falling Walls Science Summit, which will take place on 7 – 9 November 2022.
*The event format and timeline is subject to modification depending on Covid-19 regulations.
If you want to get all the latest news and updates about Falling Walls Engage you can subscribe to our newsletter. Please send us an email with your request to email@example.com.
What are the benefits of participating in the competition?
Benefits for all 50 Finalists
- Unique networking-opportunities with Science Engagers and peers around the world.
- Increased reach and visibility for you and your initiative on a global level.
- Participation in multiple professional workshops with other Finalists.
- Access to the global Falling Walls Engage Community, to join regular physical and virtual events such as the Falling Walls Engage Hubs.
- Access to a digital and global community platform, to connect and collaborate with community members.
- Inclusion of your Science Engagement project on the World Engagement Map.
- Opportunity to get involved in the International Year of Science Engagement.
- And much more.
Extra benefits for the 20 Winners
- Win a trip to Berlin and showcase your project to an international audience and a distinguished jury on stage on 7 November.
- Have the chance to become the Breakthrough of the Year 2022 in the category Science Engagement.
- Become a Falling Walls Engage Science Engagement Ambassador, an exclusive part of the Falling Walls Engage Community, with exclusive learning and development opportunities
- In depth co-learning and peer exchange with Falling Walls Community members, partners and global leaders.
- Your live pitch published on our growing Falling Walls media library.
Extra benefits for the Breakthrough of the Year
- Pitch your project in front of a physical and virtual audience of global leaders, award-winning professionals and industry-experts on 9 November at the Falling Walls Science Summit
- Become a jury member in the category Science Engagement at Falling Walls 2023.
Who can apply for Falling Walls Engage Pitches?
Who can apply?
- Organisations and individuals active in Science Engagement.
- All disciplines and project sizes are welcome.
- Your project must already be running. You cannot participate if you are still at the idea AND/OR FUNDING stage.
- You must be 18 years or older when submitting your application.
- Applications must be submitted in English.
Initiatives with measurable outcomes and long-term impact on their target group
Participatory formats of all levels: from public panels to arts-driven or entertaining approaches, or co-productive research.
Exemplary initiatives from all over the world with a transferable and/or scalable approach that generates mutual learning and mutual benefits for science and their target group.
- Overall impression
Structure and quality of application.
On 7 Nov: Structure and quality of pitch presentation on stage.
How does the selection process work?
The call for applications and nominations will be open between 1 March – 15 May 2022.
STEP 1: Fill in the online application form.
STEP 2: Get a confirmation email with further information regarding the competition process.
STEP 3: Receive an answer by June/July 2022 if you are one of the 50 Finalists that will be presented on the Falling Walls website and other channels.
STEP 4: Receive an answer by July/August 2022 if you are one of the 20 Winners who will be invited to Berlin to present their project at Falling Walls Engage Pitches on 7 November in front of an international audience.
Can I apply more than once?
The participation at Falling Walls Engage Pitches is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. By applying, the applicant confirms that he/she has never presented the project on a (virtual or physical) stage at Falling Walls Pitches before. Exception applies only if the applicant presents a different project fulfilling the eligibility criteria mentioned above.
Further Activities to have a look at