Falling Walls Engage takes place on 7 and 8 November in Berlin, alongside the Falling Walls Conference on 9 November.
Below you’ll find answers to the most frequently asked questions about applying to or participating in Falling Walls Engage.
Above all, Falling Walls Engage is a global platform for breakthroughs in science engagement that seeks to spread scientific literacy, especially among broader non-scientific audiences.
- Present your science engagement project in front of a high-level jury of international experts of science communicators and scientists.
- If your project is selected ‘Falling Walls Science Engagement of the Year’, you will present it in front of a high-level audience of 750 institution leaders from business, finance, academia and government at the Falling Walls Conference.
- Get international visibility and media coverage for your science engagement project.
- Join the Falling Walls Engage community of science engagers from the whole world and be involved in Falling Walls Engage Hubs, alumni events and our digital Community platform.
- Receive a ticket for the full Falling Walls programme and exclusive networking functions (worth 1,850 euros).
- Your accommodation costs will be fully covered. Your travel will be (partly) covered.
- Benefit from individual coaching in preparation for your presentation.
- Organisations and individuals active in science engagement.
- All disciplines are welcome.
- Your project must be already running. You cannot participate if you are still in the idea phase.
- You must be 18 years or older when submitting your application.
- Applications must be submitted in English.
- This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Past participants are no longer eligible to apply. However, there is an exception if a finalist wants to present a totally new project. This will be decided on an individual basis.
We are looking for:
- All forms of science engagement with a creative and individual method to engage the respective target group.
- Exemplary initiatives from all over the world with a transferable and/or scalable approach.
- Initiatives with measurable outcome of its activities on its target group in its region.
- New ways of communication and cooperation with the goal of empowering scientists to engage with public audiences.
Applications will be open from 6 April to 31 May 2020.
The submitted science engagement projects will be evaluated by Falling Walls Engage, the Robert Bosch Stiftung and an advisory board consisting of three Falling Walls Engage alumni.
The selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Outcome: the project shows outstanding outcome of its activities on its target group in its respective region
- Method: creative and inspiring method to engage a specific target group
- Role Model: the project (or its method) can be translated to other challenges and/or can be transferred or scaled
- Diversity: target group, engagement method, project type, gender equality
From all submissions, 20 science engagement projects are chosen to participate in Falling Walls Engage in Berlin on 7 and 8 November.
Each science engagement project will have up to five minutes to present its concept and convince the jury. Following the presentation, up to four minutes of question time will be available to the jury and audience.
At the end of the day, the jury will award the title ‘Falling Walls Science Engagement of the Year’. The winner will get the opportunity to present their project to an audience of 750 institution leaders from business, finance, academia and government at the Falling Walls Conference on the next day.
Falling Walls Engage will be held in English.
Yes, exclusive networking events and several breaks allow you to make meaningful connections and engage in deeper exchange with our judges.
Participation is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Past participants are no longer eligible to apply. However, there is an exception if a finalist wants to present a totally new project. This will be decided on an individual basis.
Marie Mühlmann, Project Lead, firstname.lastname@example.org, +49 30 60 988 39 716
Strategy & mission, partnerships & network, finances
Mariam Younes, Project Manager, email@example.com, +49 30 60 988 39 715
Event management Falling Walls Engage finale
Rosie Barber, Communications Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, +49 30 60 988 39 769
Falling Walls Engage communications
Niklas Marzinek, Community Manager, email@example.com, +49 30 60 988 39 758
Falling Walls Engage Hubs and community meetings
Anja Schoch, Project Manager Partner management, firstname.lastname@example.org, +49 30 60 988 39 75
Falling Walls Engage Hubs and partner management
Johanna Sniezko, Project Controlling, email@example.com, +49 30 60 988 39 70
Event management Falling Walls Engage finale and team support