Falling Walls Engage takes place each year on 7 and 8 November in Berlin, alongside the Falling Walls Conference on 9 November.
You have questions regarding applying to or participating in Falling Walls Engage?
Answers to the most frequently asked questions can be found below.
Above all, Falling Walls Engage is a platform to showcase outstanding science engagement efforts with a special focus on hard-to-reach target groups.
- present your science engagement project in front of a high-level jury of international experts of science communicators and scientists
- if you become the “Falling Walls Science Engager of the Year”, present your project in front of a high-level audience of 750 institution leaders from business, finance, academia and government at the Falling Walls Conference
- get international visibility and media coverage for your science engagement project
- join the Falling Walls Engage network of science engagers from the allover the world
- receive a ticket for the full Falling Walls programme and exclusive networking functions (worth 1.850 Euro)
- your accommodation costs will be fully covered. Your travel costs will be (partly) covered.
- benefit from a coaching and intense preparation for the presentation
See what past participants and guests said here.
Falling Walls Engage is open to science engagers whose science engagement projects are already running. You cannot participate in case you are still in the idea-phase.
Submissions from any field of science engagement, communication, outreach, education – large or small – are welcome. The most impactful, novel, and cost-effective projects will be invited to Berlin (travel and accommodation costs will be covered). We are looking for:
- all forms of science engagement with a focus on impactful, cost-effective, novel approaches to building opportunities for dialogue and participation in science
- hidden champions from the whole world who pursue scalable projects
- initiatives with local impact or wider outreach with the potential to become role models for other projects or scientists
- new ways of communication and cooperation with the goal of empowering scientists to engage with public audiences
If you have already participated in Falling Walls Engage as a presenter on stage, you cannot apply again.
The application phase will be open from 8 May until 30 June 2019. The submitted science engagement projects will be evaluated with the help of an Advisory Board based on the following four criteria:
- Novelty: Innovation and unconventional approach
- Scalability and transferability
- Scope of Impact
- Use of resources
From all submissions, 20 science engagement projects are chosen to participate in Falling Walls Engage in Berlin on 7 and 8 November.
Every science engagement project will have up to 5 minutes of time to present its concept and convince the jury. After each presentation, the jury and audience will have a couple of minutes to ask questions.
At the end of the day, the jury will award the title “Falling Walls Science Engagement of the Year”. The winner will get the opportunity to present their project to an audience of 750 institution leaders from business, finance, academia and government at the Falling Walls Conference on the next day.
Falling Walls Engage will be held in English.
Yes. After each presentation, the jury can ask questions or make comments following the presentation. For a more detailed discussion on your work, exclusive networking events and several breaks will allow you to make meaningful connections and engage in deeper exchange with our judges.
The participation at Falling Walls Engage is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Therefore, participation is allowed only once. By applying, the candidate confirms that she/he has never participated in Falling Walls Engage as a presenter on stage before. If a candidate was not selected to participate in a contest, she or he can apply for another one.
However, there is an exception if a finalist wants to present a total new project. This will be decided on an individual basis.
Marie Mühlmann, Project Lead, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +49 30 60 988 39 716
Strategic partnerships & Falling Walls Engage event in Berlin
Mariam Younes, Project Manager, email@example.com, phone: +49 30 60 988 39 715
Logistical questions & General inquiries
Niklas Marzinek, Community Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +49 30 60 988 39 758
Falling Walls Engage Hubs & Community Meetings