How does the NOMINATION AND APPLICATION process work?
1. NOMINATIONS. Before you can apply: Ask your university or research institution (i.e. VP Innovation, Director Technology Transfer, Head of university accelerator or a professor) to nominate your start-up as the Science Start-up Breakthrough of the Year 2021 (Category 9: ‘Science Start-Ups’).
2. APPLICATIONS. After you have been nominated we will ask you to:
- fill out the application form (preview here),
- send us your pitch deck (PDF) and
- upload a pitch video (video requirements and recommendations here).
You will receive further details on the necessary application materials after your nomination was submitted. Then, you do have about two weeks to submit your application.
3. FINALISTS. The applications are reviewed and evaluated. Should you make it to the next round you will be able to call yourself a Falling Walls Finalist and you will be announced as such on our website.
4. WINNERS. Our selection committee will screen the applications of all Finalists. The 25 most promising start-ups will be invited as Winners to Berlin to pitch their start-up to a distinguished jury and global online audience on 7 November.
5. SCIENCE START-UP BREAKTHROUGH OF THE YEAR 2021. The jury will select the Science Start-Up Breakthrough of the Year from all Winners. He or she will present their start-up live on stage at the Falling Walls Grand Finale in front of global leaders on 9 November.