- Read the Guidelines, browse through the One Pager, and watch the Highlights Video to become acquainted with the format.
- Familiarise yourself with the potential Costs involved in hosting a Lab.
- Read the Terms & Conditions carefully, then sign & return them to your Falling Walls Lab POC and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have opted to host your Lab online, please read through the Online Lab Handbook (last updated: 14 May 2020) carefully to familiarise yourself with the online Lab guidelines and recommendations. For further questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to your Lab POC.
- Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Falling Walls Lab team directly.
Host Download section
Lab organisers are welcome to find all materials necessary to host a Lab at their institution by browsing through the steps below and downloading everything from presentation templates to our evaluation tool.
- Contact potential partners with the Sponsorship Letter Template
- Use the Sponsorship Package for orientation purposes to help determine what role potential partners could play in your Lab
- Email your Falling Walls Lab POC and let them know the following information:
– Name of your Lab: Falling Walls Lab XXX (usually the city in which you will host the Lab)
– Date & Time:
– Application Deadline:
– Email contact for the marketing poster (& website if applicable):
– Logos (attach files to email):
- Your Falling Walls Lab POC will send you a custom Logo and Marketing Poster. Use these to market your event. Should you be interested in receiving further marketing advice, please contact your POC.
- If requested, we can also provide you with a social media kit. Please contact your Lab POC and let them know which of the following GIFs you require: Facebook/LinkedIn (1200x1200px), Twitter (1024x512px), Instagram (1080x1080px).
- Send out a Press Release announcing the event to your community.
- Distribute the Call for Applications within your network.
- If interested in using marketing materials not provided by Falling Walls, feel free to use our Boilerplate and last year’s Finale Photos to help inform others about our organisation (please make sure to use the copyright information provided).
- Invite jury members with the Jury Invitation Template. Make sure your jury is balanced in terms of gender & field of work.
- Request jury approval from your Falling Walls Lab POC by submitting the Jury List.
- Once the application period has ended, your POC will send you a list of applications. Make a final selection of participants and contact all applicants with the Acceptance or Rejection Templates. Also send the Participant Briefing and PowerPoint Template to those applicants who were successful. Careful, there is a difference between the DAAD Lab Template and the Non-DAAD Lab Template.
- Brief the jury with the Jury Briefing Template and ensure that they are familiar with the Scoring System.
- Familiarise yourself with the Evaluation Tool.
- Print out the Voting Sheets for the Jury. If your Lab will take place online, please contact your POC to receive a digital alternative.
- Online Labs: Feel free to use this Lab Backdrop for your virtual events or make one specific to your Lab with your customised logo!
- Have a look at the Stage Setup and the five key features that have to be present at every Falling Walls Lab.
- Get inspired by past international Lab Branding Activities.
- Brief the photographer with the Photographer’s Briefing and familiarise yourself with the Video Briefing.
- Download the following files:
– Countdown Clock (confirm that the sounds work); Online Labs: Consider integrating countdown clock into the PPT templates with the Countdown Clock Integration Guide
– Default PowerPoint Template. Please be aware of the difference between DAAD Labs and Non-DAAD Labs.
– Name Badge Template
– Questions Sign
– Programme Booklet Template
- Contact your POC to confirm that your Falling Walls Lab rollup is up to date or request a customised Rollup. A Falling Walls Lab rollup must be present at every Falling Walls Lab.
- Let your Falling Walls Lab POC know who will be signing your certificates (name, position, affiliation) and request customised Participation Certificates, Winner Certificates, and a customised Partner Sheet.
- Prepare for the presentations with the Presentation Flow Briefing and conduct a final rehearsal.
- Online Labs: Consider using the Award Ceremony PowerPoint templates to help announce the winners during the online award ceremony. There are two versions: one for DAAD Labs and one for Non-DAAD Labs
- Confirm your winner has a valid passport that does not expire before May 2021.
- Inform your Falling Walls Lab POC about your winner (first name, last name, email address) as soon as possible after your Lab.
- Submit the following:
– List of Participants
– Post-Event Survey
– Photos, videos, and press coverage (via file transfer service)
- International Lab organiser tickets for the global Finale are in high demand every year, and we only have a very limited number of tickets available. This means that not every Lab organiser receives an organiser ticket (priority will be given to hosts who have not yet attended the Finale). If interested in an international Lab organiser ticket, please contact you POC, and they will get back to you as soon as possible. Tickets can also be purchased directly via our website.
- Prepare your Finalist for the Finale:
– Familiarise yourself with the Extended Programme (coming summer 2020)
– Book a flight for your finalist.
- Falling Walls will Reserve a Hotel Room (coming summer 2020) at our partner hotel for your finalist. To do this, let Meghan (email@example.com) know the following:
– Name of your winner & Lab:
– Date of check-in:
– Date of check-out:
– Number of nights:
– Who will cover the cost of nights not covered by Falling Walls/Research in Germany:
- Find out when your Finalist will be presenting at the Finale in the Order of Presentations (coming October 2020).
- Share the Livestream Flyer (coming September 2020) with your network.